Who are Spot X products for?
Our live streaming underwater camera systems are used by a broad customer base:
- We have many clients in research fields such as seagrass and coral reef monitoring, fish surveys etc;
- We also have search and rescue police teams using our products to augment their diving operations;
- ROV operators use our products as an additional HD camera on their units;
- We have several TV production companies using our products to obtain quality underwater footage;
- Underwater sports clubs and broadcasters use our products to live stream their matches;
- Finally, our other major customer group are fishermen, primarily game fishermen using the Squid as a tow cam, but we've also seen the Squid deployed during reef fishing and deep drop trips.
How does the Squid work?
The Pro Squid uses a custom video coupler, which plugs into the camera’s USB port and accesses the live out function. The Squid takes this signal and sends it along the video cable tether, where the male RCA plug can then be plugged into most video displays (TV, monitor, plotter etc.). You may need an adapter to plug this RCA plug into your display device. Ask us if you’re unsure.
Squid Cast uses a WiFi antenna system to connect camera to mobile device or plotter on the surface, even while underwater, allowing live view and full remote control via the camera app.
Can I view the Squid Cast live feed on a plotter or TV?
Using Squid Cast, you can easily watch the live feed, and control your camera from your mobile device. Additionally, most Garmin plotters will allow you to connect the Squid, enabling you to view and control your Garmin Virb Ultra 30 underwater. Please check the Garmin site for compatible plotters with Virb cameras; if your plotter is compatible with Virb cameras, it should be compatible with the Spot X Squid Cast. While Spot X have tested many Garmin plotters for compatibility with the Squid, we can't guarantee they will work with all plotters. The Squid will however work with most, if not all, smart phones with the relevant app installed.
If you are not using Garmin products, you can mirror your Squid live feed to your TV or plotter using an MHL cable which mirrors your mobile device screen to any HDMI device. MHL cables are readily available and are usually less than $30. Consult your device's documentation or get in touch with us for assistance
Does the Squid power my GoPro/Garmin?
Yes! This is one of the key features of the Pro Squid and Squid Cast housings. HD action cameras are hardworking devices, and we know they can churn through batteries pretty quickly. Our battery coupler takes the place of the battery, and allows users to power the camera from the surface using a 12 volt source.
How deep can I use the Squid?
The Squid is rated to 100 m (330 ft).
Can I control my camera?
The Spot X Pro Squid allows you to operate the system in two configurations, with underwater control possible in configuration "1":
- Live video feed, underwater control, no external power
- Live underwater feed, external power, above water control only
Squid Cast enables full remote control of GoPro 3/3+/4/5 and Garmin Virb Ultra 30 cameras with access to all functions available within the camera app, even underwater!
When do I use the tail?
The tail is used when in drift mode. You may want to view a reef or seagrass bed at slow speeds to check for fish or suitable habitat. With the boat drifting, and the Squid tail installed, the camera will orient itself into the current and provide you with very stable footage. When you want to go back to trolling, simply unbolt the tail.
How do I troll the Squid?
Trolling the Squid is one of the most exciting uses. The ability to watch your lures while recording in full HD has, until now, been difficult and expensive. By attaching the top stabiliser fin and the included tow line you can tow the Squid up to 8 knots. To tow deeper, you can add a larger weight (eg downrigger bomb) to the base of the Squid.
What is the difference between the Pro Squid and Squid Cast?
The main differences between the Pro Squid and Squid Cast are:
- Pro Squid is compatible with GoPro Hero 3+/4; Squid Cast is compatible with GoPro Hero 3/3+/4/5 and Garmin Virb Ultra 30
- Pro Squid maximum cable length is 100m (330ft), Squid Cast maximum cable length is 50m (165ft)
- Pro Squid streams live video to a TV, monitor, plotter or laptop; Squid Cast streams live video to an iOS or Android device (or Garmin plotter when using the Virb Ultra 30 camera)